Our legislative and political committee has had a very exciting year advocating for public policy on behalf of all of us!
As of October 13th, 2019 we have the Governor’s signature on the following UPTE supported pieces of Legislation:
HIGHER EDUCATION –
- SB 698 (Leyva) – The UC timely payment of wages act.
- AB 463 (Cervantes) – to inform non-tenured faculty members at Community Colleges about the student debt forgiveness program for those who provide qualifying public service.
HEALTH CARE –
- AB 731 (Kalra) – to provide transparency for health insurance cost increases
- SB 334 (Pan) – to allow MLTs a more streamlined way to become CLSs.
- AB 1482 (Chiu) – cap on rent increases and just cause in evictions
- AB 5 (Gonzalez) – codify the Dynamex supreme court decision into law.
CRIMINAL JUSTICE –
- SB 136 (Weiner) – repeal of the one year sentencing enhancement
- SB 310 (Skinner) – allowing the previously incarcerated to serve on a jury
THE TRUTH IS THAT OUR VOICES MATTER. WHO WE ELECT DRASTICALLY IMPACTS THE POLICIES WE ARE ABLE TO PUT IN PLACE WHEN THOSE FOLKS GET TO SACRAMENTO.
PLEASE JOIN US IN SUPPORTING OUR LEGISLATIVE AND POLITICAL WORK TODAY! OUR PAF FUNDS GO TOWARDS MAKING OUR VOICES HEARD IN THE LEGISLATURE!