|Protesting numerous unfair labor practices, UC clerical employees will engage in a one-day strike on January 10. The university has refused to bargain, made unilateral changes and interfered with the union.
The vast majority of UC clerical employees do not earn enough to live adequately in California. UC is withholding raises in an attempt to get them to give in to the university’s plan to undermine the pension plan.
Their fight is our fight. Our own bargaining starts with this strike. I strongly urge all UPTE zone contacts to attend the picket lines at lunch and before or after work. Bring your co-workers.
What the clerical workers win or lose in a new contract will set a template for UPTE’s bargaining.
Here are the picket locations:
Northern California Strike Locations/Times:
- UCB: Gayley Rd. & Hearst Ave., Berkeley, 7:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
- LBNL: Hearst Ave. and Cyclotron Rd., Berkeley, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- UCSF: 505 Parnassus Ave., San Francisco, 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Rally at noon)
- UCOP: 1111 Franklin St, Oakland, 7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- UCM: Lake Rd. and Bellevue Rd., Merced, 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- UCD Campus: Dairy Rd. & Hutchison Dr., Davis CA 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- UCD Medical Center: X St. & Stockton Blvd., Sacramento, 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- UCSC: Heller Dr. & Empire Grade, Santa Cruz, 6:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Southern California Strike Locations/Times:
- UCLA: 100 Medical Plaza Driveway, Los Angeles, 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- UCI Medical Center: 101 The City Drive South, Orange, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- UCSD: Hillcrest Hospital: 200 W. Arbor Dr., San Diego, 5:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- UCR: 900 University Ave., Riverside, 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- UCSB: Henley Gate, 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Join our monthly update and question/answer with the UPTE President (me). Sign up at: upte.org/webinar. This month we will discuss how to best support you, our zone contacts. We will also feature interesting updates on how UCSD Theater employees won and UCSF IT are fighting outsourcing.
|Sign up now for the webinar: January 11 at noon and again at 7pm
The university has opted to not contest UPTE’s unit correction to include 173 clinical psychologists in the health care professional bargaining unit (HX). We are collecting membership forms and bargaining surveys. Bargaining for wage adjustments will commence soon.
The UPTE organizing staff have been attempting to visit every one of you to fill out our training survey. We want to launch a robust educational program in 2017, and need your input to know the priorities at each campus. If you have not filled out the survey yet, contact your UPTE staff member right away to request one. It will only take 2 minutes to complete.
In early November, the UCSD Theater laid off the entire production staff (scene and wardrobe techs) and invited them to reapply for their jobs at a lower pay rate and 3 months less pay. Workers mobilized and gave out flyers at sensitive donor events and theater shows. The chancellor felt the pressure, giving the order to immediately rehire all the staff at their original pay. A big victory! One downside: workers will lose 3 months work because UCSD has no summer theater program and discontinued a program to lease our members to a private theater company that shares the facility.
This e-publication was prepared by UPTE-CWA President Jelger Kalmijn. Contact him if you have any questions or comments.