Please find this week’s UPTE Update below.
Labor Movement Headlines
- If Hollywood Workers Strike, the Entertainment Industry Will Grind to a Halt – Jacobin
- After Voting Down Four Tentative Agreements, Washington Carpenters Strike
- Kaiser workers to vote on strike authorization in Southern California– Los Angeles Daily News
- Unions squeeze pro-labor priorities into Democrats’ spending bill – Politico
Behavioral Health Counselors Join UPTE!
Behavioral Health Counselors and Behavioral Health Psychiatric Professionals from every campus in the state came together last week to prepare for upcoming negotiations on the details of their title’s inclusion in UPTE-CWA’s Healthcare (HX) contract.
UPTE members stand in support of Behavioral Health Counselors’ demands for a fair agreement, part of our ongoing battle to improve recruitment and retention and protect patient care at the University of California. UPTE will continue to help workers in titles inappropriately excluded from union representation gain the benefits and protections won in our contracts.
Welcome to UPTE!
How to Get a Raise Workshop – 9/30 Noon-1PM
UPTE-CWA Will host a “How to Get a Raise at the UC” from 12:00 to 1:00 pm on Thursday, September 30th. Registration and description below!
In this workshop, a panel of UC employees like you outline their experience with:
- Retention requests – how to identify comparable positions and what to research
- Reclassification – eligibility, research, and procedures
- Equity Increases – eligibility, research, and procedures
- Administrative stipends/Incentive awards – pluses and minuses
- Negotiations – how to negotiate with staff HR, supervisors, deans, and assistant deans
Once you’ve registered to attend the event, you will receive an email asking you questions about the topics you’d like covered at the workshop. We will address your questions at the seminar.
Protections for Part Time Faculty
Please take a moment to urge Governor Newsom to sign AB 375, which would formally increase the workload cap available to part-time faculty – including hundreds of UPTE members – from 67% up to 85% of a full-time faculty workload in California’s community colleges.
Call for UPTE Photos
We here at UPTE are looking for photos of our members to use in communications materials. We want shots of members working. Do you have any of these photos? If you do, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow Us On Social Media
We regularly post information relevant to you. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @uptecwa.
For past UPTE Updates, visit https://www.upte.org/local/new/upte-weekly-update/.